Sam Sharpe Teachers’ College began operations on September 29, 1975, as Granville Teachers’ College, as it was initially called. The institution was built under a joint venture of the Government of Jamaica and the World Bank and on its opening, admitted 150 students, 39 of whom were male. The college is located in Granville, St. James, approximately six kilometres from the centre of Montego Bay. Built on a hill amidst the communities of Granville, Irwin, Tucker, Pitfour and Retirement, the college, was envisioned as a catalyst of community and human development. Its main mission was to increase access to and provide opportunities in education at the tertiary level, thereby improving the quality of life of its constituents.
A month after the start of the institution, it was renamed Sam Sharpe Teachers’ College after the slave and Baptist Deacon, Samuel “Daddy” Sharpe, who was named a National Hero in that year. Sam Sharpe was intelligent, widely read, brave, determined, and a visionary intellectual. He was committed to the upliftment of his people through excellent service. The spirit of Samuel Sharpe is embodied in the principles which govern Sam Sharpe Teachers’ College; hence the motto: “Service, Commitment, Excellence”.
The motto was created by the pioneer staff and students in 1975 and undergirds all the programmes and activities that are undertaken. The college is firmly committed to ensuring that both staff and students are empowered to be committed, dedicated professionals who endeavour to serve the community, nation and the global society with distinction. Sam Sharpe Teachers’ College initially offered two flagship programmes: the three-year diploma in Primary Education and Early Childhood Education. Later, Special Education, School Counselling, Biology and Mathematics, English Language and Literature, and Spanish/English were brought on stream bringing the complement to seven programmes. In 2015, the Diploma in Education (Dip. Ed.) programme was upgraded to the Bachelor of Education (B.Ed.). Commencing in September 2020, the institution will offer three additional programmes, namely: Biology (double option), Mathematics (double option), and Spanish and French.
To be recognized as the premier institution of higher learning, offering superior training and education to young professionals, in our commitment to satisfying the needs and aspirations of this dynamic society through research, service and the demonstration of excellence.
- Committed individuals empowered with the relevant knowledge, skills, values, attitudes and pedagogy to be effective in their various fields;
- Self-directed and able to cope with the challenges concomitant with national and global trends;
- Devoted to enhancing the total development of their students;
- Empowered to be nurturers of the human and natural resources that would promote sustainable development.
- Commitment to excellence
- Respect for self and the personhood of all individuals
- Integrity and dependability
- Hard work and dedicated service
- Genuine expressions of care and empathy
- Protection of the environment and sustainable development
- Collaboration and collegiality
- Loyalty to the institution, profession and nation.